Friday, February 27, 2009

Lucky

I know that a I am a very lucky lady and tonight I was given the confirmation that I may or may not have needed. As I sat outside on my back porch playing a game of hearts on the computer and drinking a wonderful glass of wine, I heard trouble that really disturbed me. We live on the side of a mountain, per say, and the street outside of our flat is very steep. I love to walk it on a daily basis as it gives me a great cardio climb as well as starting me off with a strong heart beat. Often in the past I have heard vehicles outside the window or on the balcony that struggled with the grade of the hill that is in front of them. Tonight that same hill came into a strange perception for me.

I heard a vehicle trying multiple times to climb the hill. When I could finally see through the trees to view who was trying to reach the top, my heart sunk. On the side of the vehicle I saw the words ambulance/hazmat. I counted at least 6 tries before the vehicle hit the top of the hill and there were at least as many attempts before they made it into my sights. I can only wonder about the people in need and if those extra few minutes could have made a difference.

I don’t have the answers, I can only hope that it's never me on the other end waiting for that ambulance to climb the hill.

1 comment: