Thursday was a holiday in Chile, therefore Pete and I thought we would take advantage and travel down to the “Lakes District” in Southern Chile. We reserved a few nights stay at a place called Yan Kee Way. During the summer moths (November thru April) the place is the #1 fly fishing lodge. The winter months are the off season and as it turned out, Pete and I were the only two customers staying on the eights hectors’ worth of land.
Have you ever been to a place where you were the only two guests? Until yesterday, I can say that I hadn’t had the experience. It has been truly bizarre. When we walked into the restaurant the Chef and the Garson were waiting for us. They had set a candle lit table in front of the fireplace and as we were taking off our jackets Pete got into a conversation with the Chef. The Chef asked what we would like for dinner. Pete wanted to know what was seasonally fresh in the kitchen and the Chef told him about some mushrooms that were picked just that morning. The Chef said that they were local mushrooms picked at the base of the volcano and that they only grew during a certain month of the year. Pete said that he would be happy with whatever was made and the Chef quickly walked into the kitchen to start our dinner. A few minutes later the Chef came out and asked if we would like to see the mushrooms before he cooked them. He took us back into the kitchen to show us a huge bag of freshly picked mushrooms. The mushroom were strange, but even more intriguing was the huge kitchen that we were standing in the middle of. As we left and walked back to the dining room I told Pete that there were extra luxuries that went along with vacations during off seasons. Our dinner was wonderful, Pete ate a steak with a mushroom accompaniment and I had a mushroom soup. We enjoyed a few glasses of wine and then moseyed back to the room.
As we left the restaurant it was obvious that the weather had started to change. The wind was blowing and yet the air was warm. Before we made it back to our room the rain started to fall and it continued all through the night. I am sure that most of you have experience the raining of cats and dogs. Well last night I wouldn’t be over exaggerating if I said that it was essentially raining elephants all night long. I loved being in our room and hearing the rain and wind outside. Multiple times I woke to hear the rain falling and the wind blowing. It lulled me back to sleep with a smile on my face. When we finally woke, Pete wondered if Noah’s Arc would be waiting for us outside the front door. I agree that it was a viable option, yet when we opened the door all we saw was a wet front porch and another adventure ahead of us.

No comments:
Post a Comment