Saturday, September 6, 2008

Fish vs. Pig

Some of you have already heard the punch line to this story due to my infamous texting abilities. The story is still floating around in my mind, therefore I couldn’t resist telling it story again.

A week ago Saturday night Pete and I went out with some friends. We met at UNNIAC (Pete’s work) around 7:30 and began our adventures from there. Our original plans were to listen to a Jazz band that was located in the downtown section of the city where parking was worse than impossible. We all piled into one vehicle and made our way downtown. Our friend Rodrigo had made reservations at 8:00 to assure that we would have a great table to sit and listen to the band. You can imagine our disarray when we walked up to the front of the bar and it was oddly desolate. I mean it was down right empty and we had to search around to find an employee to speak to. It turns out that the band actually stated at 11:00 not 8:00 therefore we were a few hours early.

This little change in events didn’t bother us at all and we walked next door to have a few drinks. Now some of you may be thinking “Ah Ha, this is why there was so much confusion about the fish and the pig” but I honestly have to tell you that you are wrong. I had a total of one and a half pisco sours between the time we walked into the bar and then left around 10:30. For those of you that don’t know what a pisco sour is I have copied the recipe below. Long story short a pisco sour is equivalent to a sugary lemonade with a little tart kick.

When we first walked into the bar I figured that it was a good time to find the bathroom “Bano’s” and then settle in for the evening. I walked into this little hallway that lead to the bathrooms and immediately stopped in my tracks. I stared at the doors in total and utter confusion. There was a fish on one door and a pig on the other. “What the heck?” I thought to myself (or possibly out loud) and then of course I looked around to see if anyone was watching or listening. I probably stood in the hallway for about 10 seconds looking back and forth between the doors. Finally, I pushed open the door with the fish and quickly realized that I had made the wrong choice. There was a urinal in the corner and fortunately for me there wasn’t anyone standing in front of it. I did an about face and walked through the other door and did my business.

As soon as I got back to the table I had to ask for others opinions. I asked which door they would entered into “The Fish or The Pig”? They all thought I was crazy and went to see for themselves. The men came back laughing as they saw the fish as phalic symbol and they claimed that the pig I saw was actually a cow or a cat (they couldn't decide). The whole point of my story is that when you really have to go to the bathroom, in a bar mind you, why should there be confusion of an animal on the door? That’s just ridiculous.

I am sure that I was the “cat’s meow or the cow’s utter” of the evening and I am fine with that. I do want to leave you with one question. If you were honestly asked to make a choice, which one would you have chosen? The Fish or The Pig?

Pisco Sour
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Ingredients
1 egg white
1 tablespoon sugar
1 glass of Pisco (Peruvian Brandy)
Juice of 6 limes
Chopped ice
Angostura bitters
Preparation
1. Beat the egg white and sugar in a blender
2. Add pisco, lime juice, ice and angostura bitters
3. Mix well and pour into shot glasses

No comments:

Post a Comment